History of Verdigris
Verdigris is named after the nearby Verdigris River, so named by French Traders that settled in the area around the late 1700's. Several Native American tribes, including the Osage, Delaware and Cherokee, had populations along the Verdigris River.
The rural community known as Verdigris has been in existence since before Oklahoma statehood in 1907. The St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (Frisco) referred to the area as the "Verdigris Switch" in the late 1880's. Verdigris schools were founded in the early 1900's. America's Mother road, U.S. 66, was routed through Verdigris in the late 1920's.
1980 - Verdigris incorporated as official Oklahoma town
In 1980, the citizens of the Verdigris area saw the benefits of being an incorporated Oklahoma town and therefore voted to do so.
Verdigris features contemporary housing, two golf courses, a great school system and land on the Highway 66 corridor that is prime for commercial and retail development.
The average annual temperature is 60 degrees. On average, 66 days annually are above 90 degrees, and 25 days annually have a temperature of 20 degrees or lower. The average rainfall is 43.45 inches. The growing season is 208 days.
Verdigris is primarily a small agricultural community. It is also the home of the CF Industries’ Verdigris Nitrogen Facility, which manufactures anhydrous ammonia, urea ammonium nitrate (UAN) solutions, nitric acid, high purity argon and food grade liquid carbon dioxide. The facility is located on 800 acres (320 ha) and employs approximately 200 people. The urea ammonium nitrate (UAN) production facility has an annual capacity of 2.0 million tons of UAN and is the second largest such in North America.
Gordon Golf Course, Verdigris - Learn more